Welcome to this exclusive edition of GLOBAL SHOUTERS where you will be learning how to create and setup your WordPress blog. This guide is exclusively for new bloggers who want to set up their blog on the WordPress platform.
For existing WordPress bloggers, I have also listed some pro tips that you should start implementing right now to make your WordPress blog more professional.
This WordPress guide will show you the following things:
- How to buy web-hosting and a domain name for your WordPress blog.
- Essential things to setup after installing WordPress.
- Things that you need to do immediately after the initial WordPress configuration (Step by step tutorials with pictures).
- WordPress plugins that you need to install and how to set them up.
- Pro tips to make your WordPress blog grow faster.
- Essential SEO of your WordPress blog.
You can have your WordPress blog up and running in the next 10 minutes.
Do remember, this WordPress for beginner’s guide is crafted with the utmost care and is regularly updated. You should bookmark this page for future reference.
Creating your WordPress blog (First step)
The first thing that you need to do in order to create a WordPress blog is to buy web-hosting and a domain name.
- Web-hosting is where your files are stored.
- The domain is the name of your blog.
You can buy hosting from Bluehost, which comes with a free domain and costs only $5.95/month for unlimited hosting space and bandwidth (with the discount link below).
This process will take 5 minutes and here is a guide to help you along the way. Click on the below link and get a hosting package now.
The next thing you need to do is install the WordPress blog onto your domain name. This process will take another 5-10 minutes. Below is the step by step tutorial:
Once you have your WordPress blog Installed, you need to make a few changes such as setting up permalinks, updating the ping list, setting up discussion settings, etc. Don’t worry, it’s not technical and you can quickly do it with the help of the guide below:
Good job on getting this far! Your blog is now up and running.
But before you play with more stuff, let’s quickly watch a few videos that will make you understand WordPress better.
A few things to learn before moving to the next level:
Here are a few more things that you need to learn before moving to the next level. This will help you to move through everything quicker and without getting stuck anywhere in between.
WordPress For Beginners:
Use these guides as your reference:
With all of the above steps completed, you have graduated from newbie to beginner!
Alright let’s begin by installing essential WordPress plugins:
Now it’s time to pimp up your blog with some important things. Here they are:
Beginner Tips To Blogging Like A WordPress Pro:
One of the major mistakes that many newbies make after creating a WordPress blog is they don’t bother setting up some of the things that can create a huge difference.
These few setups will help out in every aspect of your new website and each step won’t take more than 5 minutes.
In case you have any confusion, you can drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will reply to your query within 24 hours.
Now it’s time to set up a few WordPress plugins that are very important:
- Activate the Akismet plugin (You will need the Akismet API key. This tutorial will help you get your free API key and teach you how to add it on your blog.)
- Install and activate WordPress SEO by Yoast (This is an amazing free plugin to make your blog SEO friendly, and this tutorial will guide you on how to set it up. This is quite easy to do and if you are stuck at any step, just drop me a comment and I will help you along the way.)
- WP Super Cache plugin (This plugin is important for making your blog load faster. Make sure you don’t use any other cache plugin with this one.)
- No self-ping WordPress plugin (Don’t ping yourself!)
- WordPress related post plugins (Use any of these plugins to add related posts with thumbnails after each individual post. This will help your readers to discover more content on your blog.)
- SocialWarfare WordPress plugin (These will help you to get more shares on social media.)
- PushEngage (Free WordPress plugin to make your blog web-push ready. Highly recommended .)
WordPress SEO: From Beginner to Intermediate Level
Welcome to the next level!
These steps are going to create the biggest difference for your WordPress blog. This section will ensure you start driving traffic to your blog & your written post will be seen by more people.
You will need about one hour to understand everything here. If you have been learning and implementing everything continuously thus far, take a break! Come back with a fresh mind as you will be learning the things that will make you stand apart from other bloggers.
WordPress Pro Tips:
As promised, here are some tips for those WordPress bloggers who have been using WordPress for a long time and want to learn some advanced tips. (You need it after 2-3 months of launching your blog)